Pictures from the 2016 Easter Councours d’Elegance
Please Enjoy these pictures from our 2016 Show:
(Photos courtesy of Dr. Gerald Perschbacher, all rights reserved.)
Pictures from the 2015 Easter Councours d’Elegance
Next year’s location?
Best of Show Pre War- 1938 Cadillac 7523
Sponsor’s Choice- 1920 Dorris K-4
Pictures from the 2015 Easter Councours d’Elegance Award Presentation
Photos by Dr. Gerald Perschbacher (all rights reserved)
WHAT ABOUT AN EASTER EVENT?
The first Easter event and a direct predecesser to the Easter Concours was held on April 18, 1954. It was an Easter Parade conducted by the Horseless Carriage Club (HCCM) with the Auto Club (AAA) building as the anchor location. The parade, actually a motorcade traveled west on Lindell to Skinker, south on Skinker to Clayton Road, and west on Clayton to Big Bend where it broke up.
Why so many parades instead of car shows in those early days of the hobby? The general public was not yet attuned to attending an outdoor show of old cars.
In 1961, the time was right for the Easter Concours d’Elegance. It was the direct beneficficiary of other show efforts. On Sept. 17, 1961, seven months prior to the first Easter Show (April 22. 1962), the first Village Square Concours was held in the outdoor walking mall at the popular shopping center in Hazelwood, Mo.
The first Easter Concours d’Elegance Show was held on April 22, 1962 with only six classes. The oldest winning car was a 1897 Holdermann and the newest winner was a 1939 Cadillac Convertible Sedan.
By 1964 the Easter Show was firmly established and was hosted by AAA who has for most of the years been our faithfull Sponsor.
Eventually the Easter Concours d’Elegance was held in Forest Park where it has been held ever since.
(The above information is from the book “Easter Concours d’Elegance Grandest Show in Town” written by Gerald Perschbacher)
Cars History Came to Light in the Bright Sun of Easter, 2010
By Gerald Perschbacher
About 500 cars of collector vintage brought a festive flair to the Upper Muny Opera parking facility in Forest Park in St. Louis, on Easter Sunday, April 4, for the 49th annual Easter Concours d’Elegance, conducted by the HCCM and sponsored by AAA—Auto Club of Missouri. The crowd was estimated to be between 10,000 and 20,000 as young and old enjoyed the vast array of automotive machinery from 1903 to cars that are a mere 25 years old.
Classic Packards, Cadillac, and makes seldom remembered—such as Mercer and Hudson—added to the variety. In the Century Circle were five cars that had reached 100 or more years of existence: Two St. Louis motor cars (dating to 1903), a 1909 Brush, and a 1910 Cadillac. Soon to enter the circle was a 1911 Maxwell.
Military vehicles were registered, such as a 1942 Ford GPW “Jeep.” Other cars seldom seen included a 1940 LaSalle, 1935 Citroen, 1932 Dodge, and a 1952 Frazer convertible. Early Thunderbirds, Corvettes, and performance cars were there, too. Pontiacs, Lincolns, Buicks, Dodges, and Chryslers from the 1960s and 1970s also were on hand to show onlookers the advance of automotive design.